martedì 22 settembre 2009

sociocultural, pedagogical or interactionist?

When Andreas and Francoise presented Activity Theory at the conference in Léon, Spain, I (along with many others) felt quite lost. But, I must admit, after having read Andreas's chapter, it's beginning to make much more sense and seems like a relatively plausible framework within which I can conceptualize telecollaboration 2.0 because in the end, the nice thing about it, is that everything interacts with everything else. But before I get there...

In my experience as a student and then as an academic, there are certain words and terms I have trouble getting my head around. For example, authors speak of a sociocultural approach, or a pedagogical approach, or an interactionist approach to TBLT and NBLT (gotta love these abbreviations!). Although the words themselves seem to inherently communicate what the 'approach' deals with, for those of us trying to put it into practice, it all remains a bit abstract. So let's see if the Internet can help me out...

First you try searching for 'pedagogical approach' and NBLT - niente, then - language - all this engineering stuff, then TBLT and voilà, an article by the same person whose article I've just read, Marita Schocker-v. Ditfurth entitled What do we know about how foreign languages are learned? – A pedagogical perspective on tasks. Guarda che caso ;-)

Then I did a search for 'socio cultural approach' and to no surprise came up with Rod Ellis who compares this approach to the psycholinguistic approach (another one to take into consideration). But for now I can't get access to the journal :-(

Finally looked for 'interactionist' and found this interesting blog by Fred Shannon that explains a few things. So now I'm off to read these resources and to try and get my head around these concepts before I go pick up the kids and go to the pool!

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento